Long before Indiana became a state, long before the founding of Schererville, people called this place the "Crossroads." The name was appropriate, for several Indian trails intersected here that later became routes for the wagons of settlers traveling west.
One of those settlers was Nicholas Scherer, who arrived in the U.S. from Germany in 1846. When he came to this place at the southern tip of Lake Michigan in 1866, he founded the community that bears his name.
Today, trails still cross at Schererville, the modern trails of a motorized society, U.S. Highways 41 and 30. Nearby are newer trails, I-80/94 and I-65. All these are primary transcontinental routes and gives Schererville its slogan: "Crossroads of the Nation."
Since the 1990s, Schererville has attracted many former Illinois residents. The town's strategic location, reasonable housing costs, and high level of municipal services have contributed to its growth in recent years.
The town was named one of the "100 Best Places to Live in the U.S." by Money Magazine in 2007.
The earliest known inhabitants of the area were the Potawatomi. Although a village did not exist in what was to become Munster's town boundaries, a trail along the dry sandy ridge now known as Ridge Road was well traveled by the tribe. Today, Munster's downtown area, the Town Hall, Police and Fire Department headquarters, the Centre for the Visual and Performing Arts, and the Munster Post Office are all situated on Ridge Road.
In the late 17th and early 18th centuries, the area that is today Munster was part of land claimed by France as French territory. In the 1760s the British claimed the land where the Potawatomi lived as part of the British Empire. Twenty years later George Rogers Clark overran the British, claiming the land for the new and independent country known as the United States of America. In 1828 the federal government relocated the Potawatomi Indians to the Oklahoma territory.
As the numbers of native Americans dwindled, pioneer settlers began to inhabit the area which would become Munster.
When Jacob Munster, a young man from the Netherlands who until the 1860s spelled his surname "Monster,"opened an area General Store complete with a U.S. postal station on the back, the local farmers and settlers came to rely on the postal station, which soon became a United States Post Office. The post office was named Munster, as it was located in Jacob Munster's general store.
Before long more and more people moved to the "Munster" Area, and in 1907 Munster was incorporated as a town, with 76 residents voting "yes" for the incorporation and 28 voting "no."
Munster soon became a booming town that attracted many people. Munster saw difficult times through the rough years of the Great Depression and the two World Wars, like many other new towns in America.
During the Cold War, Munster served as the site of the Nike-Zeus Missile defense base C-46. The site was closed in 1971, and is now under private ownership.
In September 2008, Munster's northern portions suffered record flooding resulting from the impact of Hurricane Ike, which caused the Little Calumet River to overflow. A main break occurred in the levee located near the intersection of Calumet Avenue and River Drive in the northwest quadrant of the town. Munster has requested the Army Corps of Engineers to elevate the levee in low lying areas.
As of present, the levee improvements have been completed and the majority of homes destroyed have been rebuilt, in most cases, with larger, more amenity-filled homes.
The 2010 Comprehensive Plan for Munster's next twenty years includes plans for a new town center with upscale shopping and dining to be organized around a proposed train station.
The first family to settle in Lansing was that of August Hildebrandt in 1843. Henry, George, and John Lansing settled the area in 1846, which was incorporated in 1893. Early settlement in the village was primarily by Dutch and German immigrants. Industrial development of the surrounding Calumet region attracted immigrants from Ireland and Eastern Europe to the village in the 20th century. These settlement patterns are reflected in Lansing's current demographics; according to the census of 2000, the top five non African-American ancestries in Lansing were German (17%), Polish (13%), Irish (13%), Dutch (11%), and Italian (7%).
St. John is a town in Lake County, Indiana, United States. The town of St. John has homes in St. John Township, Hanover Township, and Center Township. St. John was founded in 1837. The population was 14,850 at the 2010 census. In 2009, St. John ranked 48th among CNN's top 100 places to live in the United States. In 2014, St. John was ranked as the 4th safest place in Indiana by Movoto Real Estate.
The St. John post office was established in 1846. The town was named for John Hack, a pioneer settler.
St. John is located at.
According to the 2010 census, St. John has a total area of 11.481 square miles (29.74 km2), of which 11.39 square miles (29.50 km2) (or 99.21%) is land and 0.091 square miles (0.24 km2) (or 0.79%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 14,850 people, 5,047 households, and 4,225 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,303.8 inhabitants per square mile (503.4/km2). There were 5,201 housing units at an average density of 456.6 per square mile (176.3/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 93.5% White, 1.3% African American, 0.1% Native American, 1.3% Asian, 0.1% Pacific Islander, 2.4% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 8.2% of the population.
There were 5,047 households of which 40.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.5% were married couples living together, 5.6% had a female householder with no husband present, 2.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 16.3% were non-families. 13.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.25.
The median age in the town was 40.2 years. 27.3% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.3% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 23.6% were from 25 to 44; 31.2% were from 45 to 64; and 11.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 49.9% male and 50.1% female.
St. John is served mostly by the Lake Central School Corporation (north of 101st Ave and west of Cline Ave), the Hanover Community School Corporation (south of 101st Ave and west of Cline Ave), and the Crown Point Community School Corporation (south of 101st Ave and east of Cline Ave). Three of the ten Lake Central schools are located in Saint John. These include:
- Lake Central High School
- Kolling Elementary School
- Clark Middle School
In addition to public schools, the community is home to Crown Point Christian School: an evangelical school headed by a parent-owned association. It is also home to St. John the Evangelist Catholic School, a Roman Catholic school.
In 2009, St. John was ranked 48th on the CNNMoney.com Top 100 "Best Places to Live" list.
In 2014, St. John was ranked as the 4th safest place to live in Indiana.
Highland is a town in Lake County, Indiana, United States. The population was 23,727 at the 2010 census. The town was incorporated on April 4, 1910. It is a part of theChicago metropolitan area and North Township, and is surrounded by Hammond to the north, Munster to the west, Schererville to the south and Griffith to the east.
In 1847, two pioneers from Ohio, Michael and Judith Johnston, became Highland's first settlers. The town slowly expanded until the early 1880s, when the development of Chicago & Atlantic railroad trackage through the town attracted agriculture and manufacturing industries. Dutch settlers began moving to Highland shortly thereafter from nearby Munster. 304 people resided in Highland when it was incorporated in 1910. In 1992, the Indiana Historical Bureau placed a state historical marker at 8941 Kleinman Road ( ) to recognize the immigration of Dutch in the Calumet Region.
In 1927, President Calvin Coolidge visited and delivered the dedication address for Wicker Memorial Park, located on the west side of the town. Highland, as with other towns along the Little Calumet River, has historically been subject to flooding, particularly during spring, and particularly in areas away from Ridge Road, which runs along the highest land in the town. Significant floods have affected Highland in 2008, 2007, and especially in September 2006.
On October 31, 2008, Barack Obama, who four days later would be elected the 44th President of the United States, stopped in Highland towns for a rally that drew 40,000 people to Wicker Park. It was the largest crowd there since President Coolidge dedicated the park in 1927.
Highland is located at(41.549851, -87.458064).
According to the 2010 census, Highland has a total area of 6.96 square miles (18.03 km2), of which 6.94 square miles (17.97 km2) (or 99.71%) is land and 0.02 square miles (0.05 km2) (or 0.29%) is water.
Highland has several neighborhoods and subdivisions. They include: Arbor Hill, Brantwood, Ellendale, Golfmoor, Highland Terrace Estates, Homestead, Hook's, Lakeside, Meadows, Pettit Park, Sandalwood, Southridge, White Oak Estates (of Highland), Wicker Highlands, Wicker Park Estates and Wicker Park Manor (Frog Hollow).
Highland's Downtown area features a number of buildings exhibiting Mid-Century Modern style architecture.
As of the census of 2010, there were 23,727 people, 9,924 households, and 6,547 families residing in the town. The population density was 3,418.9 inhabitants per square mile (1,320.0/km2). There were 10,335 housing units at an average density of 1,489.2 per square mile (575.0/km2). The racial makeup of the town was 88.6% White, 4.2%African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.6% Asian, 3.4% from other races, and 2.0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 12.8% of the population.
There were 9,924 households of which 28.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 49.9% were married couples living together, 11.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.3% had a male householder with no wife present, and 34.0% were non-families. 29.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.39 and the average family size was 2.97.
The median age in the town was 41.5 years. 20.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 7.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26% were from 25 to 44; 27.9% were from 45 to 64; and 17.3% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the town was 48.0% male and 52.0% female.
The commercial airport closest to Highland is the Gary/Chicago International Airport in Gary, but most Highland residents and visitors travel from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport orChicago Midway International Airport.
Highland lies just south of the Borman Expressway. U.S. Route 41, known locally as Indianapolis Boulevard, is a major north-south artery in the town. Due to Highland's proximity to Chicago, several other Interstate and U.S. highways are within a 20-mile (32 km) radius.
The town's pedestrians and cyclists are served by the Erie Lackawanna Trail, a cycling/multiuse, paved rail trail, which cuts diagonally through Highland, connecting the town with Griffith, andCrown Point, to the southeast. The Highland portion of the trail is also known locally as the Crosstown Trail. The trail runs along the former right-of-way of the Erie-Lackawanna and Baltimore and Ohio railroads, and will eventually connect pedestrians to Chicago, Illinois, to the northwest and beyond Crown Point to the southeast by planned trail extensions. The trail also links Highland, by connections with other trails, with Porter County to the east.
The School Town of Highland is the town's public school system, which operates Highland High School, which was established in 1960, as well as a middle school and four elementary schools. The area where the former Main School once stood is marked by a gazebo, which was demolished in October 2006 and rebuilt in 2007. It and the surrounding land are named Main Square Park after the now-defunct school that stood on the site until 1977. One of the other defunct schools, Lincoln Elementary, was converted into a community center in the early 1980s. The other, Orchard Park Elementary, closed in 1981 and was later purchased and reopened as a Calumet Baptist School in the early 1990s.
- Highland High School
- Highland Middle School
- Judith Morton Johnston Elementary School
- Mildred Merkley Elementary School
- Southridge Elementary School
- Allen J. Warren Elementary School
Highland also contains three private schools. Highland Christian School was originally founded in 1909 and has been in its present building and location since 1951.
Lake County Public Library operates the Highland Branch at 2841 Jewett Street.
Police Department: Fallen officers
In the history of the Highland Police Department, two officers have been killed while on duty.
Wicker Memorial Park, at 8554 Indianapolis Boulevard, is owned and operated by the North Township trustee and was dedicated in 1927. Featured are a 72-par, 18-hole golf course, three miles of trails, volleyball and tennis courts, a dog run, playground, splash pad, picnic areas and banquet facilities.
The Hoosier Prairie State Nature Preserve, established in 1976, is a 1,547-acre wetland prairie habitat located in an area in the vicinity of Main Street and Kennedy Avenue and partially in Highland, Griffith and Schererville. It is a unit of the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore and managed by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
Highland Parks and Recreation operates the Lincoln Community Center, Sharp Athletic Complex and the four-mile Erie-Lackawanna Trail. The Main Square Park Gazebo is a popular site for wedding ceremonies as well as a number of community events and festivals during the year. In addition to Homestead, Markley, Meadows and Sheppard parks, which offer shelters for picnics and gatherings, there are 16 other parks maintained with various amenities throughout the town.
- Brantwood Park
- Erie-Lackawanna Trail
- Fletcher Park
- 45th & 5th Street Park
- Grand Park
- Homestead Park
- Jaycee Park
- Lakeside Outlot Park
- Lakeside Park
- Lincoln Community Center
- Little Turtle Park
- Main Square Park
- Markley Park
- Meadows Outlot Park
- Meadows Park
- Northwood Park
- Orchard Park
- Pettit Park
- Sharp Athletic Complex
- Sheppard Park
- Terrace Park
- Toth Park
- White Oak Park
- Ward Cunningham, inventor of the wiki, who started programming at Highland High School
- Ryan Grigson, former NFL offensive lineman, and former general manager of the Indianapolis Colts
- Tom Homco, former NFL player, Los Angeles Rams
- Debra A. Kemp, author
- Kevin Manno, television and radio host
- Georgette Mosbacher, businesswoman, political activist
- Eric Justin Toth, replaced Osama bin Laden on the FBI Ten Most Wanted Fugitives list and had attended Southridge Elementary and Highland High schools before graduating from the Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics and Humanities in 2000
- Cornelius Van Til, Christian philosopher, Reformed theologian, and presuppositional apologist